My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, October 21, 2006

Ray Charles Rox Out Loud

I have a new favorite song! It is "A Song For You" by Ray Charles. Well, maybe it isn't rock, but saying he blues out loud makes zero sense. What a great song. I've listened to it a dozen times this morning. I wish I could find a video of it online. (There's one on YouTube, but the music quality ucks big time.)

TobyKeith came here last night. We went out on our second real date, the trusty dinner and a movie combo. On the way home I was checking out his CD collection --And judging him very harshly for it, I might add-- when I found a Ray Charles CD. I joked about it and then he put it in. I have to admit there were a couple of songs that didn't suck too bad, and this one that I now love. I've never seen the movie "Ray," so we're going to rent it and watch it together sometime.

After the movie we came back here and there wasn't anything going on. I imported A Song for You to iTunes, then we sat around and talked (in a laid on the bed together and kissed kind of way). The music was nice. The company was nice. The moment was nice. I wanted it to last longer. At about 2 he said he had to get home and get some sleep. I nearly broke my you-can't-stay-here vow, but I'm glad I didn't. Actually, I'm glad he didn't ask. I probably would have if he had asked. This morning as I was thinking about it I realized that he cares about my boundaries. He didn't ask me to compromise them or to change them in midstream. That part was especially cool.

I like TobyKeith. He's a cool guy. But his hands are like sandpaper. I can hardly stand to hold hands with him because they are so rough. He has callouses like I've never seen before. Despite using lotion that I kept putting on him all evening, they remained sharp. He said they'd get better now that harvest was over, so we'll see. I didn't remember them being that bad before, so maybe they will get better. I usually like backrubs, but didn't want one last night.

No one ever says that someone they like is a bad kisser, but he is a good kisser. He is slow and gentle in just about everything he does, which is a refreshing change of pace.

I could really like him more if he lived closer. While it is cool to see someone actually put thought and effort into spending time with you, I'd like more visits in smaller doses. I miss finding my BF between classes for the 2 minute chat. I miss lazing on the couch together. I miss kicking his ass over a two mile run. These are things you can't do very often with a long-distance BF.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like Toby Keith is making some strong efforts to show his interest though...

3:52 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Here in Canada, we have a store chain called LUSH and it is all body products, handmade fresh.
There is a cream called Helping Hands and I swear by it...it does WONDERS to the skin. I wash my hands ALOT for my job and my husband also works with his hands and they are rough and tough...I always get him to put some on before he gets to massage my neck and back :)

Maybe consider buying some online and surprising TOBYK
it would be the gift that keeps on giving....


glad to hear you are enjoying life...its too short and you are so young. Enjoy it...it goes by so quickly!!!

8:44 PM  
Blogger Spaceman Spiff said...

Ray Charles is amazing. Give a listen to Otis Redding, Bill Withers, and Nina Simone too. Definately worth downloading. I can give you some particular song titles of interest if you want.

Do you get that excited "ooh it might be him" tenseness in your belly when the phone rings yet?

12:05 PM  
Blogger Julene said...

TK is showing off and showing up, that's for sure, and it is a nice feeling. I think our fledgling relationship is going well. He makes me feel special. I wish he lived closer.

Nicole, I totally did that. I've never heard of LUSH, but I have been trying to think of something to send him in return. I don't know whether he will use it or not, especially since it looks like it is scented, but hey, its the thought that counts, right? I can say that it is the thought that counts, since I don't really like the CD he sent, but it was really nice to get it.

Spiffy, I have Otis Redding's Dock of the Bay on iTunes. I don't have any Bill Withers or Nina Simone. iTunes store has about a dozen versions of AIN'T NO SUNSHINE, which I have heard (I think). They also have tons of Nina Simone. I don't think I've ever heard any of her songs. I'm not of a jazz fan. One of my housemates loves Diana Krall to the point that I now hate Kiana Drall.

As for the "ooh it might be him" tinglies, I would have to say no. I don't want to come across as snobish by saying that I don't see it going very far, because that implies that I think he wants it to go further, which he may not. And we haven't had the expectations talk that I mentioned earlier, which may be a deal killer. So far he's getting an A for effort, but that doesn't necessarily mean he wants to change his major.

12:20 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

If you did order the Helping Hands by Lush, it is very lightly scented and it makes the most snarled, callousy , dry, hands feel like satin...and hey, you got it...it IS the thought that counts... remember that for always...EFFORT goes a LONG way!!!

and I bet T. K. will be thrilled to get anything from you, because that will show him that you are thinking about him.

3:12 PM  
Blogger Spaceman Spiff said...

Nina is kinda like Jazz. She is more hard edged. She has a lot of protest songs. Listen to a sample of "Black Freighter". . . . or maybe "Nobody's fault but mine". . . . definately not Diana Krall jazz.

As for Bill Withers, give "Grandma's hands" or "Use me" a listen. Anything from his live at Carnegie Hall album is great. Ain't no Sunshine is the song from that Hugh Grant and Julia Roberts movie "Notting Hill" when she has left him and he is walking through the different seasons in the marketplace, so you probably have heard it. DMX also did a bad cover of it too.

3:42 PM  
Blogger Julene said...

Nicole, I did order that, and I tried to get them to deliver it to him, but they can't send it to an address other than the billing address. It still isn't here, so I might have to give him Bath & Body Works instead.

Spiff, there is a YouTube of Bill Withers with both of those songs. I don't want to seem too closed minded, but he isn't my bag. And how could you dance to that? As for Nina, she's got a few on YouTube, but I really didn't like her all that much.

11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home